Sunday, April 24, 2011

Guerlain Terra Inca Ombré Fusion Cream Eyeshadow

Guerlain's gorgeous Terra Inca Collection for Summer 2011 is an enticing complement to the Terracotta Collection for 2011. With different items, but also a summer theme, the Terra Inca Collection is extremely appealing. I purchased several pieces, and I'm starting my series with the Terra Inca Ombré Fusion Cream Eyeshadow ($35).

Guerlain's first cream eye shadows specially created for summer, the three Ombré Fusion Cream Eyeshadows are unique, offering the softness of a powder, the richness of a cream, and the lightness of water. They apply like a creamy liquid, which dries quickly. The shadows offer a spectacular lightly metallic effect - really a subtle shimmer that's appropriate for glamorous outdoor wear. The effect of the shadows on the skin is striking. Guerlain says the coverage will last from dawn to dusk, and I believe it. These shadows don't wash off with ease. They're designed to resist heat and dips in the ocean.

The shadows are housed in a lip gloss-like tube, right down to the dot-foot applicator. There are three shades: Bahia (01), Havana (02), and Maya (03) - all places with coastlines. I purchased all three at Nordstrom Tysons Corner Center, mostly so that I could play with them at home. I had a feeling that Havana might be dark from its appearance in the tester, but I've already found a way to lighten it on the skin.

The shades are swatched on my arm, with Bahia at the top, Havana in the middle, and Maya at the bottom. My photo was taken in weak sunlight (you take what you can get!). I started to show you the shadows entirely unblended, but I realized they needed a bit of a blend. I spread them - didn't really blend them well - with my fingertip. Havana had started to dry when I tried to blend it, so it looks very dark (and it is if not blended).

Bahia is a stunning summer peach. You will find it pretty on its own or combined with other shades. Havana is brown, probably better suited to dark skins, not mine. The trick for me is to put it on my palm, pick up the color quickly with a cream shadow brush, and apply it to the outer corner of the lid and crease with haste. Once it dries, it's going to stay put. You may think this is a lot of trouble for a brown shadow, and you would be right. I wanted it, though, so I had to find a way to use it. I love its pure brown color; it's a perfect shade for my skin tone, once blended. The more "adaptable" or wearable shade of brown is Maya. It has a bit of copper in it, which tempers the color. In my photo above, you'll see that I was more successful in finger-blending it. By the time I got to the third swatch, I was ready with my "technique." Maya is a shade that's easier to use. I think it will be the first choice for many.

These are beautiful shadows, and their long-lasting quality will be perfect for lazy days at the pool or beach. For those of us who want that look, but won't be hanging out by the water, they evoke the summer mood. Once you get the hang of blending them on your eyelid, you'll find that they give you a stunning beach-side look. Who doesn't like that?

I have seen the Terra Inca Collection at Nordstrom, and I understand Saks has it too. I waited a long time to find it at Neiman Marcus, but never did. I am wondering, as I've read, if it's exclusive to certain stores (Nordstrom and Saks). If that's the case, a certain Guerlain rep should have known (blogger says ruefully). The collection is gorgeous.

Photos courtesy of Nordstrom